Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Puttin’ One in the Air With Jim Jones


Jim Jones sat down with XXL Mag and chopped it up about the Jay-Z and Cam beefs, coming up, and getting money like 50 Cent:

XXL: So it’s safe to say that your history with Jay-Z has never been a positive one…

Jones: Not the whole stretch of the history. There was some positive moments there when we were signed to Roc-A-Fella and we used to be at Bassline [Studios] and it was always a bit of aggressive competition amongst the artists, but we never really felt no real type of way towards him until it seemed to be a problem for him to jump on one of Cam’s records. Jay-Z was that obnoxious that he wanted to do it when he wanted to do it and we just came in one day and he was like—Kanye had a beat—”I think you should do it,” and from there it was a battle. Cam was like, “Do it?” And I never seen no shit like…I never to this day. I ain’t never seen no shit like, this is the most historical moment in my life as far as being a rapper in this game. Not Kanye, Just Blaze had the beat like, Let’s do the joint tonight, trying to catch Cam off guard. Cam was like, “Do it?” These niggas went in the booth back to back, no breathing time, none of them. And I wouldn’t discredit none of them, I mean none of them, done. Juelz had the hook on smash, that was done. Bang. And him and Cam went in there like boxers, blow for blow, Jay went in the booth, came out, Cam went in the booth, came out, then Jay went back in and they looking at each other like, “Word?” Like that was some incredible shit. I’ll never forget that. That was down at Bassline.

XXL: With you and Dame being so tight do you have any hard feelings with Jay-Z on behalf of Dame?

Jones: I definitely took it personal but I’m not trying to revolve my whole career around it. It’s been a fun thing for me at this point. I mean, I’ve found some witty ways to get at him, he’s responded to where I’ve never really seen him respond to anybody else, nah mean? So I must have gotten up under his skin in a lot of ways. To the point where, if I got money I don’t think it’s too much that to respond for. I’d think I won at that point in the game but, some people, I don’t know if they glutton for fame or they’re so passionate about doing this. I don’t know what it is but I gotta eat and I aint gon’ be here ’til I’m 47 so niggas got to move the fuck out my way or else you gon’ be the butt of my joke every time I get a chance ’cause you still in the fuckin’ way. The only niggas in the game is 50 [years old] that’s getting busy. The only nigga that’s not 50 [years old] is 50 that’s making some money. These niggas gotta move over. That ain’t a cheap shot, these niggas is 40-something years old, literally, what’s up? I mean what the fuck is up?

XXLMag.com: With Juelz, why would Cam not let songs be cleared if it was an opportunity for all of them to make money? If it’s all about the money, then Juelz’s songs and appearances would’ve generated money…

Jim Jones: You missing two things, ego and we were the label and now that we all know Cam was the label and the label doesn’t get paid for appearances. Unless he can negotiate something different, from his point of view that might not have been his best interest because he wasn’t getting a dollar from it. And then you have this thing called ego where, oh, this sh*t ain’t going right, I still have control over the most powerful entity that we have in this bitch and, I guess I’ll show my ass a little bit. And do it the way that I wanna do it. He might have been feeling like that. Everybody wanna feel like they bigger than me and all that, who knows. That could have been one of his emotions at the time.

So…exactly how old are you, Jim Jones?

More pics below.

No comments: